background

Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Tales of "The Happy Hooker"

But first I want to tell you about a scare I had with my 14  year old furbaby, Molly.

About two weeks after we lost our Bruno, Molly, my oldest Cocker started hacking .... cough, hack, cough, choke, cough again... It started out gradual, and then over the weekend, she was non stop hacking.  OMG .... I don't know if I can handle the evil "C" again.  Well, we were off yesterday to see Dr J for Xrays and a diagnois of ...... bronchitis !!!! (WHEW !! ONLY BRONCHITIS)  I almost dropped to my knees in relief !!!!  BIG doses of Keflex,  Prednisone &  Pepcid for our girl should be just the ticket to get this baby well ! Of course, she LOVES the tasty morsels of cheese wrapped or peanut butter dipped pills she will get twice a day !




AND ..... NO .... I have NOT found a street corner yet ! And if I did I would probably not make enough money to pay attention and besides, Baby, it's cold outside !!!

I have begun a new adventure......

CROCHET, silly ! (As if  I need ANOTHER hobby).


The Happy Hooker

As I mentioned Monday, I innocently clicked on a link in an email and found that  Annie's Craft Store was advertising a 50% off CYBER MONDAY sale of her online craft classes.  I couldn't resist, so signed up and began digging around the craft room & upstairs area of the storage barn for supplies.

When we moved Jere's mom, Hazel into a nursing home prior to her death in 2007, we had the task of cleaning out her apartment.  With 80+ years of memories (and a bit of what is better described as junk - don't we all have our share of that??) she bluntly stated that she WOULD be back in her own place in a few weeks, so we better NOT discard ANY of her treasures.  Well, a few months later she succumbed to an infection and passed quietly away in January, 2007.

Fast forward to Monday and I climbed the stairs in the barn and found a huge storage tub of various and sundry skeins, balls and tidbits of yarn all for my nimble fingers to caress and turn into beautiful masterpieces - HA- there was even a project or two of partially hooked items that someday when I am able to get the hang of this new craziness I am going to attempt to complete. - Marti - I may ask for your help and guidance on these!

After watching the introduction to Crochet and learning all about fiber content, hook types & sizes and other crochet accessories, I picked up a skein of the ugliest moss green yarn and began a simple chain (ch).  Then came single crochet (sc), half double crochet (hdc), double crochet (dc), treble crochet (tr), yarn over (yo), loop (lp), repeat (rp) and about 40 other stitches and techniques that being a cross stitcher for so many years were very foreign to me. BUT I AM A TROOPER ! And am determined to become the best hooker I can be.


Practice stitches



The picture above is my 1st attempt at crochet beginning with ch then sc, hdc, dc, tc, rp, and on  and on.  It definitely has some mistakes, see the top corner where apparently I have missed a stitch or two??  I am sure with time and practice I will get the hang of it and will be whipping out gorgeous afghans, hats, scarves and various and sundry other items that will be cherished by family and friends for generations to come ..... Tossed in the trash or donated to Goodwill by my children when I go on the the great craft store in the sky.

Last week, beginning with Wednesday was a crazy hectic FUN week of Thanksgiving celebrations, Football Championships and Hockey games.  TODAY I am going to stay snuggled under my fuzzy blankie (probably with a dog in my lap)



and spend the day getting the hang of this new art form.

On to the kitchen to get red beans in the crockpot for dinner tonight of Red Beans & Rice, and pour another cup of coffee.

Stop back by tomorrow for more "Adventures of A Happy Hooker".

Till next time

Cindi
12.3.2014




1 comment:

  1. Try starting to learn with a crochet granny square. Easiest thing in the world to crochet.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete